-
April 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi,
I've seen references to improvements in the 1678 series auto mixers, from original 1678 to 1678B to 1678C.
I'm wondering if anyone knows the nature of these improvements?
I have two friends, one who is looking for a low-cost solution for a church sub-system, and another who thinks it could serve as an 8-channel mic-pre for recording.
I seem to recall, from my days as a contractor, one of these versions being highly unreliable, at least in our few installs, but I'm not positive which it was. But the specs look pretty good as a mic pre (I've also considered suggesting IRP, but my friend likes the XLR and 1/4" connectors of the Altec).
Any thoughts? Sorry if this is off the beaten path ...
-
April 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi.
I don't know the improvements.But a good Automatic mixer should have at least one of this requirement.
The additive effect of multiple mikes being on at the same time. If one mike is on at maximum gain, opening up another one will make the system feed back. So an automatic mixer must also keep track of the gain of the whole system to prevent feedback or excessive noise pickup.
...................................
-
April 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
The "C" was a really reliable, good sounding mixer.
Simply stated, the Altec automixers shared the gain, rather than reduced the overall output of the mixer every time a microphone was turned on. They are more stable than most.
Dan Dugan's patented method, which cost Altec gazillions, worked really, really well...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks